Monday, March 23, 2009

Talking Points #6

"One More River to Cross"-- Recognizing the Real Injury in BROWN: A Prerequisite to Shaping New Remedies~ Charles Lawrence
This reading has a variety of cases dealing with segregation and segregation in the schools. I have always been interested in segregation and segregation in the schools. I really liked this reading and I thought it was a quick read.
"The ultimate goal was full political and civil equality for blacks; they knew that this could not be acheived until the entire system of segregation had been destroyed.Equality of education is not enough, there can be no equality under a segregated system. The American negro is not a dominate minority; therefore he must fight for complete elimination of segregation as his ultimate goal."
This quote is saying that we need to put diversity aside and just treat everyone equal. No matter where black people go the feel inferior and the minority. Everyone has to come together and make segregation and inequality disappear. I thought of Johnson when I read this quote and its saying that it is really out there and we cant ignore it. We have to recognize it and realize its still out there.
"Northern and Southern cases are distinguishable on the basis of state action; in the South, state action is present because state laws required the operation of dual school systems, while in the North, state action is action because segregated schools occurred as the result of segregated housing patterns."
I found this interesting because the reading said that segregation first occurred in the Northern states which I didnt know. I think that if the Northern states took action right away then segregation may not have ended up in the Southern states. It would have just stopped in the Northern states.
I really liked reading this article and understood the different cases a little more. I think that I have a grasp on the readings. I really enjoyed this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment