Monday, February 9, 2009

McIntosh/Muwakkil

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible knapsack~ Peggy McIntosh

Peggy McIntosh discusses how white people are born with privileges just because of there ethnicity and color. She discusses how people of different ethnicities don't have the same privileges but could be the same person on the inside. Just because of their color they don't have the same privileges. Different ethnicities have to fear things that white people take for advantage. On page 2 "My schooling followed the pattern my colleague Elizabeth Minnich has pointed out: whites are taught to think of their lives as morally neutral, normative, and average, and also ideal so that when we work to benefit others, this is seen as work that will allot "them" to be more like "us"."McIntosh also discusses the inequality of men and women. On the first page "I have often noticed men's unwillingness to grant that they are over privileged, even though they may grant that women are disadvantaged... These denials protect male privilege from being fully acknowledged, lessened, or ended." I really liked reading this article. Everything she mentioned I totally agree with. As I read the conditions that she states in which her skin is beneficial one that really caught my eye was the last one. "I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color that more or less matches my skin." After I read that I really thought about how this is so true. I never really thought about it until I read it. I really liked this article and it didn't bore me!



Data show racial bias persists in America~ Salim Muwakkil

"Do you feel that racial minorities in this country have equal job opportunities as whites or no?" I think that they have equal opportunities but people cant see past the color of their skin. I mean I feel as though if it was to come down to a white man getting the job position and a black man the white man would get the job regardless of knowledge and experience. "However, white applicants with prison records were still more likely to be hired than black men without them." If race wasn't such an issue even today wouldn't you think we would of had an African American President sooner? People always ask the question "Is there still racism today? I definitely think that there is still racism today. How many company CEOs are African American? Or how many police lieutenants are African American? I still think that racism is a big issue today, and I think it needs to be stopped. You cant just judge someone by their skin color, that is just ridiculous. They could have more knowledge than the white man but because of his skin he doesn't get the job or he doesn't get the house that he bid on. This needs to be stopped!


1 comment:

  1. Nice start, Rachel. Now I want to see you dig around in the details. Use the format I offer in the syllabus to help you get at more specifics in each text.

    ReplyDelete