Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Diversity Event

For my diversity event I chose to report on a recent high school volleyball game that I went to. There was a little girl in the stands on the side of me and she was trying to talk to her mom about the black boy on the opposing team. Instead of saying "that black boy" she just kept saying "that boy over there", "you know that boy". This reminded me of Johnson and how he says just to say the words.
Another thing that I saw was Delpit and the codes of power. All of the seniors on the varsity team kept barking orders. Also the player that they were always telling to get water was a black boy. He was just used to getting water and didnt care and just kept doing what they said. I also noticed that they were always telling only the few black boys what to do. They never said anything to the white boys on the team.
I also saw was Kozol, the libero had to just wear a t-shirt. It was like putting a bandaid on a broken bone, instead of getting him a new uniform they made him just wear a t-shirt.

4 comments:

  1. It's so weird how so many things can be noticed at something so simple as a volleyball game. I wouldn't think that people would still be treating their team members differently according to their race.

    I wonder if it would be different if the sport was something that more black people played. Like when I watch volleyball I usually see a bunch of white guys but when I watch basketball I usually see black guys playing. I wonder if things would have been different if say a white guy was playing basket ball on a team with mostly black players. It's weird how race plays a factor in how you're treated, especially when you're supposed to be a team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like your observation that you made at the volleyball game you went to and how you connect it to the articles we have read.

    Shayla was wondering about if the opposite thing would happen if it was the opposite way around where a team that was majority black would boss the couple of white kids around. I myself in high school played on the football team and i was the only white kid on the defensive side and i did not feel like i was bossed around, at least that is my experience

    ReplyDelete
  3. you remind me of me. the reason i say this s because i notice everything around me and you did that at a volleyball game. Do you think it could be because we started to take this class and because we have read the articles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good observations, and nice comments from your peers, too. I wish you had a little more to say to connect to the articles in a more substantive way and to describe the event in more detail.

    ReplyDelete